So, you want to say "yes" to the gospel? I am jumping for joy right now because this is by far the biggest and best decision you will ever make in your life! Accepting Christ as Lord and Savior will forever change your life because when we become a follower of Christ, we receive the Holy Spirit in our hearts to help us live more like Jesus every day. This means we can love people and love God how He intended us to!
Here's what you should do:
Confess with your mouth that "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead. Romans 10:9 says that by doing this we are saved.
Also, pray these things to God in your own words:
- Confess that you are a sinner and are in need of a Savior.
- Tell Him that you are sorry for all the wrong things you have done and for not loving Him fully.
- Ask for His forgiveness.
- Thank Him for sending His Son, Jesus, as the ultimate payment for your sins.
- Tell God that you are accepting the free gift of salvation today.
- Ask him to please help you follow Jesus every day.
- You can end your prayer "In Jesus name, Amen."
These words are not magical, and there's no right or wrong way to say them. True salvation comes from a change in our hearts, not the words we say in a prayer, but the prayer helps us to commit our heart change completely to God.
Now that you have started a relationship with Jesus, here are some next steps to take:
- Find a local church to get involved in. The church is Jesus Christ's bride and His vessel here on earth that exists to help believers grow in their faith and make more disciples. We cannot love Jesus without loving the church. Here's an article for you to read to help you choose a great church home!
- Tell someone. And then someone else. Our faith is not meant to be kept private. The point of following Jesus is to love God and love others, and we cannot fully love others without sharing the message of our everlasting hope with them.
- Start reading the Bible. If you don't own a physical copy of the Bible, there are plenty of free ones online, and lots of Bible reading plans to get you started right here! A great version of the Bible to read is NIV or ESV, but there are lots of other great ones too.
- Pray daily. Confess your sins and ask Jesus to help you get rid of sin in your life. Pray that you will stand firm in your faith and love Him more than the things of this world. And pray for people you know who are hurting and broken and still living in sin.