Last Moments of High School
I’m currently sitting in my last high school class EVER as I write this. It’s 2:30pm, May 26, 2016, and when the next bell rings, I am officially done with every single one of my high school classes. It still hasn’t completely hit me what this moment really means. All ll I know is that my life is about to change SO MUCH. I’ve heard it so many times recently, and now I’m sitting here waiting for it to happen. I had tears in my eyes this morning as I left for school (not because I don’t want to leave high school, because I do), but because it’s just a whole bunch of lasts. Today I had my last lunch at Buffalo Gap High School. I had my last AP class. And handed in my last high school assignment ten minutes ago. It was my last time walking the halls as a student and the last time seeing a lot of the teachers here.I can’t even wrap my mind around how I’m feeling right now. It’s a mix of joy, excitement, anticipation, and sadness. These last four years have meant so much to me and so much has happened that has shaped me into the person I am today.
I just feel at a loss for the proper words right now, so I decided to make a list of some of the things I’ll remember most. Here it goes:
- The late nights spent reading, doing homework, and studying for tests
- The much more fun late nights spent with friends staying up until all hours of the night talking about Jesus, boys, and anything else you can possibly think of
- The teachers who turned into friends
- Becoming best friends with my sister
- Keeping one best friend through ALL FOUR YEARS of high school
- FCCLA trips to Virginia Beach, Indianapolis, and San Antonio
- Getting ready for dances and dancing the night away with friends
- The amazing, Godly staff at Calvary Baptist, the church where I did my mentorship
- Running every single day in all types of weather with my cross country and track girls
- Going to coffee shops with my best friends
- My parents, who have literally been the biggest blessing in my life and have done SO much for me
- Friday night football games
- Homecoming week and all it’s festivities - it will never feel the same again
- And lastly, but certainly most important are the countless teachers, mentors, friends, and acquaintances who have poured their knowledge and wisdom into me and been the biggest encouragement in my life.
All I can say to anyone reading this is THANK YOU for making these four years the best ones of my life. If I went back and did it all again, I don’t think I would do anything differently. As many times as I’ve complained and said “I can’t wait to be in college,” I never meant to wish away these past four years of my life. They’ve honestly gone by SO FAST. Anyway, the bell is about to ring, so I guess this is goodbye. See ya later, high school. It’s been fun.